Judah Dundon has taken another big step forward in his return from injury with a strong performance for Western Region Football League side Werribee Districts on Saturday.
In just his fourth senior game since returning from a shoulder reconstruction, Dundon was among the Tigers’ best players in their 47-point win over Josh Mould’s Wyndhamvale side, booting two goals in his role playing on the wing and through the forward line.
The WRFL featured big games from a number of Werribee players not involved in their side’s VFL campaign over the weekend, Spiros Amarantidis producing his best performance of the year playing on the wing and at half forward for Deer Park in its 62-point win over St Albans and Nich Weightman again finishing as one of Albion’s standouts off half back and through the midfield in a 43-point loss to Spotswood.
The Geelong Football League also featured a number of notable Werribee-listed performers, Brenton Rees again among St Joseph’s best in a 150-point drubbing of North Shore and Charlie Francis producing another fine defensive game for South Barwon as it went down to Newtown & Chilwell by 50 points.
Further north in the Ovens & Murray Football League, Brady Sharp showed further progression along the comeback trail from a broken hand with an impressive game down back for Myrtleford in its gallant 34-point loss to ladder leaders Albury.
Split rounds across a number of country leagues meant a quieter weekend for Werribee players away from the VFL, with a further 11 lining up at local level:
• Back in the GFL, Max Augerinos’ senior St Mary’s side went down to Leopold by 47 points, though Isaac Miller had a better time of it in the reserves with two goals and a best-afield performance in a 68-point victory over the Lions; Jack Brauman’s Bell Park outfit went down to Colac by the same margin; and Keelin Betson and Cassidy Parish both enjoyed a 66-poitn win as part of the Grovedale side that downed the Geelong West Giants.
• Fabian Brancatisano rounded out Werribee’s players in action in the WRFL, his Sunshine side enduring a tough day out against Hoppers Crossing with a 73-point loss.
• In the Essendon District Football League, Brad Xavier spent time in a new role down back for Keilor as Luke Hitch took on a variety of roles in the same side, the Blues coming away with a resounding 76-point win over Glenroy.
• Kye Declase spent time both forward and back for Northern Football League side Montmorency in its 17-point loss to Macleod.
• Julian Lockwood’s Leongatha side suffered a hiccup in its quest for back-to-back Gippsland Football League flags with a shock two-point defeat at the hands of Drouin.
• Jack Williams’ Camperdown side had a tough day out against Hampden Football League rivals Koroit, going down by 80 points.