New Werribee signing Fabian Brancatisano highlighted his ability to provide a dangerous presence in front of goal with an impressive performance for Western Region Football League side Sunshine over the weekend.
Brancatisano kicked four of the Kangaroos’ eight goals in their thrilling draw with Werribee Districts on Saturday, just days after being announced as the latest player to be elevated to Werribee’s senior list.
The explosive forward is among a group of Werribee players pushing for a late-season VFL berth that includes defender Charlie Francis, who did his chances of an eventual 23rd player call-up no harm with another outstanding performance at half-back for Geelong Football League side South Barwon on Saturday, this time in the Swans’ 36-point loss to Colac.
Among Werribee’s other standout performers away from the VFL across the weekend was Luke Hitch, who produced his best game of the year as best afield for Keilor’s reserves side in an 85-point win over Essendon District Football League rival Pascoe Vale that also saw Brad Xavier finish with three goals, while Jack Brauman was Bell Park’s leading ball winner in its 60-point loss to GFL premiership fancy Leopold.
A further 16 Werribee players were in action away from the VFL over the weekend:
• After playing in two close losses for Vic Country, Cassidy Parish finally enjoyed a win with a thrilling one-point victory over Vic Metro in the third and final game of the Young Guns series at North Port Oval.
• Midfielders Brenton Rees and Ethan Petterwood were among the best players for St Joseph’s and Grovedale respectively in the two sides’ GFL clash, the Joeys prevailing by 61 points in a match that also saw Ben McNamara and Keelin Betson in action.
• In other GFL results, Bevan Shelley was among a host of players to hit the scoreboard for Newton & Chilwell in its 118-point thumping of Lara, while Isaac Miller’s St Mary’s side romped to a 94-point win over North Shore.
• Charlie Bance was the other Werribee player in action in the EDFL, his Maribyrnong Park side enjoying an 84-point win over Avondale Heights.
• Back in the WRFL, Nick Weightman produced another strong performance off half back as Albion’s best in its tough 78-point loss to Caroline Springs, while Josh Mould also had a difficult day in defence as his Wyndhamvale side went goalless in its 114-point loss to Spotswood.
• In the Northern Football League, three goals from Kye Declase couldn’t prevent Montmorency from slipping to a 17-point loss to Greensborough, while Brydan Hodgson’s Heidelberg side went down by 81-points to McLeod.
• Julian Lockwood joined in on a goalkicking procession as Leongatha romped to a 123-point win over Gippsland Football League rival Morwell.
• Harrison King’s ladder-leading Bacchus Marsh side suffered a shock one-point loss in a low-scoring Ballarat Football League clash with Lake Wendouree.
• Nathan Laracy put in another strong performance off half back for Myrtleford in its 76-point loss to Ovens & Murray Football League rival Lavington Panthers.
• Jack Williams produced a solid performance at centre half-back to finish among Camperdown’s best in its 11-point loss to fellow Hampden Football League side Warrnambool.